Friday, November 26, 2010

I've reached my first Goal!

Melanie @ Run to Feed the Hungry 2010
              
I am sooo happy to say that I've done my first 5K. I did it in 55 mins (roughly), and it was slow going as there was 30,000 people there. I did have to dodge through hundreds of people just trying to clear a path for walking, or running. It was a lot of waiting around, and a tons of people. But all in all I believe I did a good job. I could have gone faster if there weren't so many people, and I wouldn't recommend it for someone who was trying to set and beat a great time. But if someone wants to start their journey with 5K's, start here!

It was an amazing feeling, that I didn't get to share with anyone at the time I crossed the finish line. I had to silently share it with those who supported me through this journey, and know that they were there with me in spirit. My husband took me there, but was unable to see me finish the line, as we had to set up a "meeting up" place after the race. Not to mention I doubt anyone would have been able to pick me out of the sea of people.  It was sort bitter sweet, because I wanted people to see me finish, and jump up and down and hug in excitement. Instead I held back the tears of joy secretively as I and many other people around me crossed the finish line. It meant so much to be to be able to complete this goal.

I feel so accomplished. My knee is doing GREAT! I was so pleased with how my knee held up, and I was so worried I wouldn't even be able to finish the 3 miles. After I crossed the finish line I took a wrong turn, missed out on free bananas, and water, and had to walk an extra mile to get to Tyson. So all in all after getting lost and taking the wrong turn, I walked 4 miles. And to think that I doubted I could even do 3!!!!

This really shows me that I can do anything I set my mind to. This shows me that I need to be confident in myself and trust that I CAN do these things. Months ago I set this goal, and it was so far away. This last week I was forcing myself to not think about it because if I did I would go into a state of worry and fretting over nothing. And I knew it was silly things going through my mind. So I didn't even think about it. I did my BEST not to think about it. But, when I was standing in line, alone, after Tyson and I separated waiting for the start signal, I realized that this was it! It was do or die now. It was so cold, that the first mile I did I couldn't' even feel my feet they were so numb. So I walked the first mile to warm up my muscles and feet. The second mile there was a woman who was laying on the ground. I am guessing she was having trouble breathing.?? I thought to myself that would have been me before June of this year. And now I am running past her. Don't get me wrong, I feel awful for the people who had trouble at the race, but it makes me feel good that I've made these changes in my life. And I could have so easily been in their shoes.

As more and more people started to walk at the second mile. I had just started to pick up my pace. When doing athletics, I have always been slow out of the gate, but I would always pick up the pace towards the middle and end. Thats where I made up my time. I did quite a bit of running in the second mile, and I wondered if my knee could keep up, and I forced that out of my mind and focused on what I was doing in order not to trip and eat it face first in the cement. Last thing I wanted to was get hurt here.

Toward the end of the second mile I started to feel tired. Then the third mile started and I wanted to run to finish, but everyone around me started to bottle neck and walk. I was frustrated as I wanted to push myself... like I always do at the end. That last push does everything for me. But I was also thankful, as I could walk and catch my breath.

When I finally reached our meet up spot and saw Tyson, I was so glad! Finally someone to share my joy with and accomplishment with.

I have decided that I want to keep it up with the races. Although I would like to do some smaller ones that will allow me to push myself more, and work on speed instead of being stuck in a crowd of people. So I think I'll stick to local races for a while, and work on my distance and speed. I just want to build strength so I could do a 6 miler. I realized that since I did 4 miles at the Run to Feed the Hungry, that I could probably do a 10K by this time next year, or even by this summer. Maybe walking part ways, and running part ways, but I will be able to finish.

I just want to thank you all for supporting me. Some of you donated money on my behalf to support my Cause with Run to Feed the Hungry. All in all we brought in $75. I am so thankful that I am able to give back as I know the people who need this are grateful to have the help.

Again, Thank you. I appreciate all of you.
Melanie( to right) meeting Tyson after the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm not here right now, Please leave a message after the beep.

 
My Beautiful Life Starting Now... - Free Blogger Templates, Free Wordpress Themes - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Shows Online. Unblock through myspace proxy unblock, Songs by Christian Guitar Chords